REMANUFACTURING IS NOT:
- An imprecise term usually meaning the product has had enough work to make it operational again.
- A root cause analysis is usually not performed in the repair process which means the product may not perform like a new product.
- FAR 52.211-5 "Reconditioned - means restored to the original normal operating condition by readjustments and material replacement"
A product is considered remanufactured if:
- Primary components come from a used product
- Disassembly is to the extent necessary to determine the condition of its components
- Components are thoroughly cleaned and made free from rust and corrosion
- All missing, defective, broken or substantially worn parts are restored to functionally good condition, or replaced with new/remanufactured parts.
- Product is restored to sound working condition, by machining, rewinding, refinishing or other operations performed as necessary.
- Product is reassembled and a determination made that it will operate as a new product.
- Remanufacturing programs are consistent with FAR Clause 52.211-5
- FAR Clause 52.211-5 "Remanufactured - means factory rebuilt to original specifications"
- All units retain form, fit, function and capability per specification defined in T.O. and drawing package
- Changes to form, fit, function are based on customer requirements and obsolescence
- Obsolescence issues can be met, while retaining form, fit, and function